There are a litany of past or defunct airlines with great liveries which either went out of business or were absorbed by other carriers through take-over or de-regulation.
The RETRO ZIBO project is a way to remember those legacy liveries by painting them on the most prolific X-Plane modification, the venerable ZIBOMOD 737-800.
As a member of the FS and X-Plane community, we would appreciate your support by making a small donation to continue our hobby and design.
SHARE YOUR SCREEN CAPS ON FACEBOOK AND IG AND TAG US!
PLEASE NOTE: THE RETRO ZIBO Project is a creation of BRAVO 737. Although the project does utilize the ZIBOMOD, it is not connected with, nor in collaboration with the creators of the ZIBOMOD or it's system. As flight simmers, we are grateful for their work and providing an open source system for use all to utilize. Donations to BRAVO 737 are for our work on the research, paint and production of designs only. Files included are repaints only. You will need to have the ZIBO 737 in your aircraft files.
Piedmont Airlines was a United States airline from 1948 to 1989, when it was acquired by and merged into USAir. Its headquarters were at One Piedmont Plaza in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a building that is now part of Wake Forest University.
In April 1989, shortly before it merged into USAir, Piedmont had 22,000 employees. In September 1988 it flew to 95 airports from hubs in the eastern United States; its commuter and regional affiliates flew turboprop aircraft via code sharing agreements to 39 more airports.
OZARK AIR LINES
Ozark Air Lines was an airline that operated in the United States from 1950 until 1986 when it was purchased by Trans World Airlines (TWA).
In 2001, TWA was merged into American Airlines. A smaller regional airline that used the Ozark name (and whose operating certificate was purchased by Great Plains Airlines) operated in 2000–2001. From 1950 until 1986 Ozark's headquarters was located at St. Louis Lambert International Airport.
Texas International Airlines Inc. was a United States airline, known from 1940 until 1947 as Aviation Enterprises, until 1969 as Trans-Texas Airways (TTA), and as Texas International Airlines until 1982, when it merged with Continental Airlines. It was headquartered near William P. Hobby Airport in Houston, Texas.
Following the name change to Texas International, the airline's early livery consisted of a dark purple cheatlineabove the windows leading up into three branches on the tail, which in 1973 was changed to a thick red cheatline across the windows on a white fuselage, along with a Columbia blue cheatline with a large white star on a blue tail.
TRANS WORLD AIRLINES
1962-1975 Twin Globe Livery
The TWA jet delivery scheme gained a minor update in April 1962 with the creation of the twin-globes design around the base TWA tail titles. The rest of the scheme was kept broadly the same as previous years.
Interestingly as well as being the livery that would be introduced on the new DC-9s, 727-100/200s, 747s and L-1011s it was also applied to some of the Lockheed L-749 Constellations (which by this time had also been equipped with radar). No L-1049s, L-1649s or Martins would wear this scheme.
PAN AMERICAN AIRWAYS
The arrival of the first Boeing 747SPs signaled another update to the simple Globe livery, which had remained basically unchanged since 1958. Yet again major change was avoided and instead the Globe scheme was simply modified to fit the 747s better.
Changes were limited to larger black PAN AM titles using the modified font with less spacing between the letters and blue cheatline terminating at the radome on the 747s, Clipper titles in a script font, the flag on the tail enlarged and slanted.
This scheme was worn by the new Boeing 747SPs and Lockheed Tristar 500s as well as the 707s, 727s, 737-200s, 747s and DC-10s, the latter inherited from National.
PAN AMERICAN AIRWAYS
1984-1991 Billboard Livery
Following its dalliance with the experimental schemes Pan Am switched to full billboard titles on a white fuselage. All the new Airbus A300s and A310s were delivered in this scheme, which was also worn by the 747-100/200, 747SPs, 727-200s and remaining 737-200s.
The Airbuses had an all white fuselage whilst the Boeings kept a natural metal belly. The livery was also worn by the Dash-7s and ATR-42s of Pan Am Express (formerly Ransome Airlines)
1961-1971: Three-stripe Chieftain Livery
The first Boeing 720s, delivered in April 1961, wore a new version of the indian-head scheme. The cheatline/headdress was simplified with only three thin stripes and the red line at the forward edge now extended forward to the nosecone. On the tail the rounded red region became squarer turning it into a wedge.
This scheme was worn for a decade by the DC-6Bs, Electras, Boeing 707s, 720s, 727-200s and 737-200s. It was also worn by the pair of Lockheed Constellations acquired in the 1967 purchase of Pacific Northern.
The 727s were unique in having the red wedge high on the tail above the centre engine.
1970-1985: Flying Swizzle Stick Livery
Designed by Lippincott and Margulies Inc of New York the scheme featured and almost all white fuselage, with just a small patch of natural metal running under the belly. Simple diagonal 'Western' titles feature on the tail and are repeated above the red cheatline which ends prior to the L1 passenger door in a large red W. The scheme was called the 'Flying W' but gained the nickname the 'Swizzlestick' thanks to the chatlines similarity to the stirring sticks used in hot drinks. Western actually made a swizzlestick version itself.
The scheme was introduced at the end of 1970 on the Boeing 720 N3167, which did not have the later standard small black nosecone. The livery was worn by the 707s, 720s, 727-200s, 737-200s and DC-10-10/30s.
Hughes Airwest's planes were recognizable by their banana-yellow fuselage and tail colors. Their airplanes were often dubbed "flying bananas" and the airline launched an advertising campaign with the catchphrase "Top Banana in the West." Apart from their all-yellow scheme, the airplanes also featured a blue logo on the vertical stabilizer (tail) that resembled three diamonds connected (possibly a reference to the initials of Howard Hughes). The name Hughes Airwest, in stylized lettering, was featured unconventionally below the front passenger windows. This livery was devised by the southern California design firm of Mario Armond Zamparelli.
After the sale in October 1980 the all-yellow paint scheme was gradually replaced by Republic's white with blue and green trim, and the mallard "Herman the Duck."